Soil aeration involves a foot or hands-on process of digging and stirring the soil to help it breathe, preventing water from sitting on top of the ground.
If your soil is not properly aerated, it can have negative impacts, such as decreasing the water-holding capacity of your soil, reducing the ability of plants to take up nutrients, and causing their roots to suffocate.
Five reasons why soil aeration is essential:
- Aeration helps prevent the compaction of your soil. Growing plants in compacted soil decrease water permeability, meaning less water can go through the plant’s roots before evaporating into the atmosphere.
- It helps prevent water from pooling on top of the soil, which can damage your plant’s roots. Soil that is not adequately aerated and does not have good drainage can lead to root disease and other problems with your plants.
- It helps to build air pockets so air can get quickly through the soil, which also helps with moisture retention. The air pockets also allow for a better planting depth to get a more stable root system in your plants.
- The process creates better drainage, allowing water to flow efficiently through your soil. This is partially done through the increased air pockets, enabling the earth to drain quickly.
- Aeration helps to build greater porosity within your soil, which increases its ability to hold water. Although hydroponics is becoming more popular and used more often, they can’t necessarily replace the needs of farmers and gardeners when preparing good quality soil for planting.
No matter what gardening you do, ensure that your soil is properly aerated for the best results.
We Can Help with Your Soil Aeration Needs
Our experts at Trees West LLC can provide you with the soil aeration and drainage solutions you need for your garden. We specialize in tree services and environmental design to care for your tree needs in Buckeye and the surrounding areas.
Call us today if you are looking for top-notch services at reasonable prices! We can help 623-340-1971.